Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Town

I did a (VERY rough) Review on the Town, wanted to share it.

The other day I went with some of my family to see “The Town”, directed by Ben Affleck and starred in by…Ben Affleck. Affleck wanted to “accurately” portray one of the absolute worst parts of Boston, Charlestown. Charlestown, according to Affleck and “The Town”, is the bank robber capital of the world. After some research though, it would seem that this is not completely accurate. Charlestown accounts for about 2% for all of Boston’s robberies. This is not the point though, for “The Town” tells us about how “bank robbing is passed down like a trade from father to son.”
Affleck’s character, Doug Macrae, is no exception to this. He, along with his three friends, are some of the most highly elusive and intelligent robbers in Charlestown. We follow them through several robberies, and all that was going through my head was how is it they haven’t been caught?
In a way, “The Town” over glamorizes robbery. You see their plans, and watch them be carried out and get away with it. Their plans aren’t even that elaborate. I was instantly reminded of the Oceans trilogy. Now there was a group of films that had well thought out plans, but they were realistic in the sense that they didn’t fully ever get away with it.
Overall I found that “The Town” was a crude, inaccurate portrayal not only of robbery but of an existing town. The actors were alright, though somewhat dry at times and I found some of the casting a little strange. The storyline was alright, though if you are one for action you may enjoy this film. I am going to give “The Town” 2½ stars out of 5.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there Eden. That was a good review, nice and tight and to the point, as well as honest.

    Movies about robberies and those sorts of crimes are not my thing, so I wouldn't watch The Town anyway, but if it was my thing, I wouldn't watch it after that review. I hate movies and shows that glamorize crime.

    I've been reading a few other authors who do reviews like this (though usually on books), and I'm thinking I need to start doing them. I only did one, on Shrek. I don't do them on books often, mostly because I don't think I would be good at it, but I suppose I should try. It would help show what I know about writing, give me more topics to blog about, and offer a chance to sharpen my skills. Of course, I also need to read A LOT more than I do.

    If you want to get yourself more readers and exposure, next time you stop by my blog (the regular one at http://www.ravenclark.net, not Shadowsword one on Blogspot), try slipping in a mention of your blog in a comment. It's best if you do that after a blog you are particularly proud of, one you really want people to see. Or, if you don't have one you want to plug at the time, throw in a mention of Sour Grapes Winery. Those reviews are great.

    Thanks for reading my latest chapter. I'll have chapter 5 up soon, so keep an eye out.

    Raven

    ReplyDelete