Thursday, November 10, 2011

50 Years (Poem)

So, as promised, here is my first poem, now that it has been graded. It is not my favorite, but I'm sharing it as I sent it to her. I hope you enjoy!

You told me we would grow old together,
The two of us would never again be
Apart.
Now I look at our house
But all that is left is
Sorrow.

There’s your bulky chair that I always hated,
That never quite matched the décor
With its oversized green pillows.
Where so often I came home,
To see you sitting there,
Waiting.
It still smells like you,
The soft, musty scent of my favourite cologne,
Sweet.

There’s our picture,
Taken on our wedding day,
Me in my white dress,
You in your blue tux, impressing me, but
what ever possessed you to wear blue?
Like a strutting peacock with brilliant
Plumage.
Everything in this house is memories,
You and me.
Like chocolate and coffee, always better
Together.
To the end I never stopped loving you.

I remember the taste
Of your lips on mine.
I can feel your skin,
Your work roughened finger tips caressing me, like soft
Feathers.
Hear your voice that was beginning to crack with age
Whisper my name,
Softly.

You said we would be together for 50 years.
Who could have guessed that
You would be slip away from me
And the bonds of Earth
To see the other side.
Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment